Monday 23 July 2012

My spouse files Bankruptcy for medical debts

My spouse files Bankruptcy for medical debts

I am from California. My spouse wants to file bankruptcy on medical debts.

My question is that if my spouse file bankruptcy is I am responsible for their medical billing? Does collection agency call me or trace me to get paid my spouse medical bill from me?

Answer: As per State law, either spouse will be liable for each other responsibility. So husband and wife both are responsible for medical care. The first liability goes to the spouse who incurred the debt and the second liability fall on the other spouse. So you are liable for your spouse medical debts, but only after the assets of spouse have been exhausted.As per bankruptcy when only one spouse file bankruptcy and receives discharge, the collector will collect the debt form the non-filing bankruptcy spouse.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment